Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Feelin' Good About 2009...

I’m feeling pretty good about 2009 so far…

We rang in the New Year with great friends (Anna and Andrew) and in good health with jobs. Our families and friends are also well. We also have only five more weeks until we’re back in the most serene, wonderful place in the United States: Hawaii! It will be great to get away from the gray Ohio weather. Here's a picture of us in our matching New Year's Eve outfits.



In other news, I’ve decided to join a community supported agriculture program. The past year I’ve been buying mostly organic produce and naturally raised meat/chicken in an effort to extend my earth-friendly practices. I love it—the food tastes better and I know I’m at least minimizing our consumption of pesticides and supporting sustainable agriculture. Through this change, Brandon and I have been eating a much larger variety of vegetables and, overall, less red meat. (I can’t believe my husband will now eat radishes, turnips, sweet potatoes brussel sprouts, green beans and lima beans. How awesome is that?)

Anyway, I’ll be getting my CSA box from the Eaton Farm, a small family-owned operation in Madison, Indiana that uses natural growing practices and raises grass/pasture fed cattle and chickens. It only costs about $17 a week, which I would easily spend at the grocery, and I get fresh, locally grown seasonal produce while supporting sustainable agriculture and local workers, minimizing my carbon footprint (from food transportion) and avoiding excess chemicals in my food. It’s such a no-brainer. I’m super excited.

If you are interested in sustainable food and community supported agriculture, check out localharvest.org. I’m excited to get my produce from 50 miles away versus 3,000. I absolutely loved visiting the farmer’s markets in Hawaii and buying locally grown produce and flowers. Here is a picture of me with my flowers from the Kona farmer’s market and a shot of the Hilo Market up north from last year's Hawaii trip.





Lunch is over. Back to work. Have a good day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree eating fresher always tastes better! Nice outfits!