Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Women with Children

What happens in the genetic make-up of independent, career-minded women when they have their first baby? Is there some hidden switch that flips over to "mommy mode" that releases some visceral need in us to nuture our families and not ourselves?

I ask because some of our friends are starting to have children and several of the women I always viewed as the power-players in their relationships have chosen to quit their jobs and become full-time moms...at least for now.

I struggle with this.

It's not that I blame them. I'm sure if I had a cute little new baby at home, I'd want to spend as much time as possible watching him or her grow, experiencing every tiny moment to the fullest. (Heck, sometimes I feel that way about my pets!)

But as women, who gave us the right to claim that treasure solely for ourselves? Wh should our husbands feel bound to support us fully, once that child--something created together and, hopefully, with a mutual committment and desire--enters the world?

That's a lot of financial and emotional pressure to put on your spouse...

I can't decide how I feel about it. In my heart, I can't deny I'd want to spend time with the kid, too. But I also know I'd criticize myself if I didn't feel like I was contributing to our livelihood. I also know that (as much as I hate to admit it) if the roles were reversed, I'd harbor some resentment toward Brandon if he stayed home and I spent everyday laboring to pay our bills.

It's a quandry.

I pre-ordered a book today (to be realeased May 27) called "The Ten Year Nap." It's a work of fiction written like nonfiction themed around these questions. I can't wait to read it--perhaps it will help me figure out my own feelings on the topic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, oh boy, oh boy,you can be opening a can of worms with this post lol! I don't think you will find your answers in a book but maybe talking to friends and or relatives who made the choice might help you to better understand. If interested drop me an e-mail and I will give it to you from my persepctive.

Anna said...

Wow...this post is shocking to me.

It sounds like you are defining the role of a housewife/mother in terms of money. Being a housewife and mom is a full time job and would be contributing to the family in other ways, that don't equate to the dollar sign.

I don't think it's a matter of claiming a lifestyle where one spouse puts a burden on another spouse in order to hang out and have fun all day.