I sat in the chair this afternoon with a snoozing baby cuddled on my chest and I thought: wow, I am a mom and it feels so right. As Spencer snuggled against me, belly to belly, it kind of took my breath away. (This picture was from another day where I enjoyed a similar moment.)
What a blessing Spencer has become in my life. After I became pregnant...and again when we found out he had medical challenges...and at many other moments along the journey so far I've wondered: "can I do this?"-- meaning be a mom as well as be an advocate for my son.
The answer of course is a resounding, authoritative yes. Every day, I question my ability less and enjoy the moments more. The bond I have to Spencer is more visceral than I ever expected. I want to protect him. I want to protect my little family. I pity the person who first tries to judge him unjustly or hurts him in any way because hell hath no fury...
So, happy mother's day to all the mothers out there. I finally feel all those emotions you have tried to explain to me but I had to experience for myself to understand.

4 comments:
Happy Mother's Day to you too!! I hope you guys do something very special that day.
Happy first Mother's Day. Any plans for the day?
I get to sleep in, then B is going to cook me lunch while I get fun time with Spencer then we are going shopping for your new family car!
Post a Comment