Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

We had a great – but busy – weekend. Friday night, I had dinner with Sara at Wildflower Café in Mason. If you haven’t been there, you should try it! The food was fabulous, the business environmentally friendly and the atmosphere homey and unique. It was great to catch up with Sara … haven’t seen her in a while.

On Saturday, I packed my childhood rocking horse in the car and drove to Lucasville to visit part of my extended family, including my new baby cousin, Graham, and my uncle Dave who just turned 60. We had cookout, so I got to see all my cousins and their kids which was very nice! Everyone is excited about the full family picnic I am planning for August, too, which made me very happy. I miss our biannual family parties at Grandma Jo’s, so I’m eager to get them started up again. Wondering why I took my rocking horse? Well, my great uncle Tuck built it for me when I was very small and offered to refurbish it for me. Next time I see the horse it will have new hair, ears and a bridle. I’m pretty pumped!

Brandon, his Dad and Grandpa spent Saturday installing a new privacy fence and re-hanging our porch swing at the house. It was wonderful to come home and see all the carpentry done!

Saturday night we attended a surprise birthday party for our neighbor, Joan. Her husband did an incredible job not only at keeping it a true surprise, but also making it a classy party. They had an acoustic guitarist, yummy appetizers/wine and lots of people. She almost fainted when she came in the door.

Sunday I picked up our awesome CSA basket – radishes, mustard greens, lettuce, eggs and more of those glorious strawberries – then we headed to Morrow to play Frisbee golf with Paula and Kirk. The course near their house was great and so were the brats they cooked for us afterward!

Monday I got up early and went to buy all our flowers and vegetable plants. After gorging on strawberries (trust me, you couldn’t resist either), we tackled the rest of the gate installation project the boys we’re able to finish, hung all new lights around our back porch then planted all of our flowers and vegetables. (The last task, unfortunately, was done in the rain.)

So, all in all a very productive weekend. Now we just have to find time to tackle the mulch pile in our driveway…hopefully the weather man is right and the rain will hold off on Friday. Saturday I’m looking forward to seeing Danielle and Duwayne.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A weekend full of family and friends, can anything be better?