Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Memories

Last week, my aunt Brenda's battle with Alzheimer's ended. She was only 60 years old.

We will all miss her dearly--she was a kind, gentle and funny person. I'm glad her suffering is over, though, and will choose to remember the happy times rather than the sad.

Two of my favorite memories involve Brenda and my mom. One is of then sitting in Brenda's kitchen talking nonstop and laughing. They lived 3 1/2 hours away from us, so when mom and Brenda did get together they always seems to enjoy their time together even more. The other memory is of mom, Aunt Brenda, Aunt Gail and Grandma Jo shoved into the tiny kitchen of Grandma's house cooking for our biannual family get togethers. Being the pushy country women they are, they ALL had to be in the kitchen helping. I loved those family parties.

When my mom moved downt to Kentucky seven years ago, I think it was meant to be because Brenda began showing signs of illness around that time. She was able to be their to help her sister when she needed her most. I can only imagine how hard it was for mom to lose her big sister. I took the entire week off last week to spend with mom and my family down in Kentucky. Although the circumstances for being together were bad and sad, it was still nice to have everyone together.

Mom and I made matching wreaths for our front doors during the week, which I think turned out pretty nice:



My mom is very creative and crafty. Perhaps I get it from her?

WWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!! (Brandon invasion--sorry about that)

Tuesday night we went to see Tom Petty and the HeartBreakers at Riverbend with Paula and Kirk. What an awesome concert! Although it's rough going to a concert on a weeknight, it was well worth it to see a rock legend!

Tomorrow night we've made a pact to finish the trim painting in the kitchen so we can be done with it once and for all. We also need to hang the new curtains and signs I bought. Here is a picture of the curtains and one of the signs:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing she was too young but as you said the suffering has ended. I am glad you have good memories to comfort you. I like your sign for the kitchen and I bet those curtains will be lovely.