Monday, June 16, 2008

My New Musical Intrigue

In the past few years, I've really gotten into our local NPR stations--one of which (WNKU FM) plays a lot of great new and local artists. I've been hearing songs by one particular artist for a while but am just now finally investigating his music: Jack Johnson.




I realize I am a little late to the game on this one...

I love his music. His voice is appealing, but real; his music is simple, but catchy; and his lyrics are clever. He's also from Hawaii, so we all know he gets extra points for that!





If you've been living under a rock like me and aren't familiar with him check him out at http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/.



On a different note, we've had two busy weekends in a row, hence no blog posts.

Friday, June 6 was my friend Paula's 30th birthday party. It was technically a surprise party, but she knew something was up. We went to Valley Vineyards, a winery out in Morrow near where I grew up. They have a Friday night steak grill out buffet thing. Paula seemed very happy--in fact, I'd say she was glowing, but that could have been the facial she treated herself earlier that day.





Saturday we did some more cleaning on the kitchen...ugh...and then it was time to celebrate with Sara. We have a very fun tea party at Bonbonerie--complete very large, colorful hats--and then headed down to Newport on the Levee for the "Good Vibrations" show at Shadowbox Cabaret. After the show, we headed to Jefferson Hall for more drinks and dancing. Two little frat boys, who didn't look older than 19 kept hitting on us. It was very amusing.


I decided, however, that I have outgrown that bar scene. It was kind of sad. All these girls were dressed up in full hoochie wear, scouting the guys like lionesses. The guys meanwhile were in full Abercrombie gear, scouting the ladies like jackals. It was like being back at OU at the Junction...


This past weekend the Red Sox were in town to play the Reds. We didn't intend to go to the games originally because the Reds were making so hard--and expensive--to get tickets, but we had an opportunity to buy some tickets last minute, so we couldn't resist. This was the first time the teams had faced off since the 1975 World Series when the Reds won.


Friday night was great. The Harangatan (Aaron Harang) was on top of his game, pitching a lights-out game that we won 3-2. Saturday Bess and Kevin joined us for the game, which we unfortunately lost. A few key management decisions made the difference:


1) Griffey swung on a 3-1 count. What the heck?
2) B-Phil did something similar, ending a critical inning
3) Dusty Baker left the relief pitcher, Mike Lincoln, in for the 9th when he should have brough the big man, Francisco Cordero, in to close the deal.


Oh well. We lost, but we had a great dinner at Bangkok Bistro afterward with Bess and Kevin. Ginger felt a bit abandoned all weekend, I think, but I made it up to her the next day by taking her to the dog park in Waynesville. Dad and I had a nice afternoon just hanging out on Father's Day at the dog park then under the shade of Grandpa's big tree at our house in Waynesville.

The last two Sunday nights were spent busting my butt at the shelter. I have a new volunteer, but she's still a very slow cleaner (who really just wants to love all the cats vs. clean), so I end up doing a lot of her work for her. Next week, the nice gloves come off and the whip comes out! :)

Now it's to the grind at work.


Sara's wedding is this weekend--I'm so excited for her! Brandon and I bought her and Steve tickets to see Wayne Brady in Las Vegas.

1 comment:

Woodchuck Ridge said...

Hey, I love Jack Johnson! Can get you some tunes if you'd like...

You totally need to listen to The Sound (94.9). You'd love it and they're all about rockin' the vote.

Paula