Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Vampires and Spring Yard Work



Just in case you're concerned that--based on my headline--we encountered vampires during our spring yard work, let me assure you these two items are entirely unrelated!

First: the vampires. (See photo on the left)
As many of you know, this winter I became a bit obsessed with triology of books by Stephenie Meyer about a young girl who falls in love with a vampire. (Jane bought the books for me as a birthday present.)
This made me realize that I am a bit obsessed with witches, wizards and--now--vampires! (Charmed, Harry Potter, The Cullens from my vampire books...beginning to see a pattern?)


With Charmed, I think my obsession stemmed from the positive image of a trio of powerful, kick-ass sisters who did good magic to save the world from bad magic. I still love it. I think I need to name my firstborn after one of the sisters...or at least my next pet!

The Harry Potter books swept me away because of the fabulously complex magic world of wizards, witches and magical creatures J.K. Rowling was able to weave through fabulous her storytelling. Who wouldn't want to bewitch your house to clean itself or fly on a broomstick?

The Twighlight (vampire) series is engaging because it draws you into this passionate story of forbidden love and the two young lovers struggle to resist the magnetic pull between them. Yes, I realize this sounds incredibly cheesy--but the writing completely draws you in. Edward, the forbidden vampire lover (Robert Pattinson, the actor who played Cedric in the Harry Potter movies), knows that he cannot be with Bella forever because she is human and vampires, of course, live off blood. Although Edward is part of a rougue vampire sect that only drink animal blood, eventually he knows he will succumb to his desire to bite Bella.
Anyway...I'll stop there. Needless to say, after I finished the third book I was so bummed because it was the end of the story. BUT NO! Stephenie Meyer is finishing a fourth book now--Breaking Dawn--that comes out in the fall. (I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've already preordered the book...) They are also making a movie of Twighlight, which comes out this summer.
As for more earthly items... Brandon and I have started the monumental task of cleaning up the yard for spring. We also chopped down the small tree that died in our backyard and are preparing to replace in with a nice, full-sized tree from Bloomin' Center.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't name your child Pru lol! Piper or Phoebe would be good! I have a goat named Paige. Anyway I too like anything to do with the supernatural, ufo's etc. I used to wish I could be like Bewitched when I was a kid.

Unknown said...

the twilight series is one of my obsessions, too. i just got a puppy and named her bella :) i'm super excited for the movie!
maggie the red

jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jane said...

I hate to tell you this, but I am pretty sure that the Twilight movie doesn't come out until December. By the way, I just finished New Moon in less than 24 hours and started Eclipse. I am obsessed.