Last Friday, I had one those moments that makes everything seem to slow down in your mind. I had three virtually simultaneous thoughts pop into my head:
• Geez, it’s so easy for us to take for granted just how fortunate I am.
• I should have been in the Peace Corps. Perhaps I could be doing something right now to lessen someone else’s suffering.
• How could anyone not want to adopt after seeing these suffering children?
The human condition can be staggering, especially when you are looking at photos like those in this MSBC slide show — http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27435600/displaymode/1107/s/2/ - which I was.
When I see images like these – both abroad and in our own country – I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the injustice of the world. It makes all the stupid little things people (myself included) worry about seem so unimportant and silly. It also makes me incredibly thankful to be born into the country and family I am in. It always amazes me how shortsighted and arrogant some people are about their lives. Don’t they realize fate (or faith) could have dealt them a much more sour life.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You don't have to be in the Peace Corps to lessen suffering, just ask the shelter *folk* you tend on Sundays!! And there are plenty of places in Columbus if you care to shine on the two legged also. There is a Methodist Childrens' Home near Worthington always looking for help - in different ways.... Childrens' Hospital used to need *rockers* for at risk babies (and that would be a way to guage your do i want a kid question?)eunice (shauna's friend)
Post a Comment