Monday, June 6, 2011

My Second Home

Sometimes, when end up walking the halls of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center it feels like home. Today was one of those days.

We had an early post-op follow up with orthopaedics and Spencer was raring to go, running up and down the cooridors smiling and laughing at everyone he saw. As I chased him around, I watched the various employees walk by I realized -once again - that I recognized many of them. Some, we had had direct interaction with, others I've just passed many times in the hallways. It was disturbing and comforting all at once.

Then I saw Karla Hicks walking toward me, her eyes on Spencer with a look of questioning familiarity. I called out "you treated him" and she got this look of recognition in her face and said, "is that Spencer?"

Karla - or Dr. Hicks - was the resident who called us every morning from the RCNIC to give us a report on Spencer during those hard 19 days he spent in the hospital recovering after his initial surgeries. She became a comfort to us, a steady source of information and understanding in the dark and blurry whir that was the first month of our life with Spencer. I am forever grateful to her and the RCNIC staff. Karla, the nurses, the general surgery fellow (whose face I will never forget but whose name was never fully clear to me) ... they pulled us through.

So, as I walk through Cincinnati Children's, it feels like home. I am comforted by the hospital's bustling corridors, its staff who smile as your son scurries by them. In the thick of medical tests and procedures, it still feels like home ... just a scary version of it.

Tomorrow we head back to Children's for our regular kidney testing and follow-up. This is always a scary day filled with anxiety for me. Please be thinking about our family.

1 comment:

jane said...

Sending you positive kidney thoughts!