Sunday, March 14, 2010

Motherhood


I'm just over a month into this new gig -- motherhood -- and it's been a period of extreme highs and lows, joys and frustrations.

Spencer is a beautiful, sweet little boy. He's fussy sometimes like any baby, but it's all pretty minor. He has overcome so many obstacles in the short time he's been with us, and I am certain he will continue to amaze us. We are thankful for his presence in our lives and for the doctors at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center who are continually changing the outcome for him.

Sometimes when I look at Spencer I am absolutely amazed that he is mine...that Brandon and I have a son. Wow. What a life change. In those moments, I feel like I could just sit and stare at him for hours.

Other times I look at him and am consumed by a deep sadness because I know he was born with so many obstacles to hurdle so soon. In those moments, I can't help but be angry at the injustices of life (though those moments are becoming less frequent and less intense). I also can't help but ask the question "why?" But I quickly push those thoughts away and remember to focus on that sweet baby in my arms and ask the more important, relevant question: "how are you going to react to it?"

I am blessed with a loving husband, wise parents (and parents-in-law) and supportive friends. So...thank you to everyone who has -- and will continue to be there for the Harper family as we travel on this new journey called parenthood.

2 comments:

jane said...

I think you need to add Spencer to your sidebar.

Anna said...

He's just so cute! I'm going to try to come visit again soon!